"Toulouse Métropole" Bicycle Plan for 2011 - 2020
Annual budget (excluding « VélÔToulouse ») is up to 11 M €, or 15 € per year and per inhabitants, including:
6 M € for the implementation / programming of the bike facilities
4 M € for the facilities integrated to the existing urban planning projects (high volume public transportations, public spaces) / for further integrate support for bicycling into existing City policies.
1 M € for the bicycle services
1 engineer, 3 technicians inside the « Direction Gestion Des Infrastructures de Toulouse Métropole » (Department of management of Toulouse metropolis infrastructures)
Projects are studied and executed by the territorial hubs of the urban community.
The bike policy, previously carried out within the context of the Environmental commission (commission Environnement), is, since 2009, handled by the Transportation and mobility commission of Toulouse Metropolis (commission Transports et Déplacements de Toulouse Métropole). The bicycle is then considered as a useful mean of transportation.
Creation, in July 2009, of a forum for discussion: the « bicycle group work » (le « Groupe de Travail Vélo ») bringing together the elected officials of the municipalities and the department of the Urban Community.
Cycling facilities in the Urban Community of Toulouse Metropolis
Urban cycling network
490 km (267 in Toulouse) including (need an update):
- 230 km of bikeways,
- 71 km of cycle lanes,
- 90 km of mixed ways for pedestrians and bicycles,
- 14 km of bus lanes open to cyclists,
- 2 km of side alleys
100 km of cycling facilities introduced or set up to standards between 2008 and 2012.
25 km of lined city streets since 2008.
4 key axes defined as priorities in the Bicycle Plan:
◦ The axis Faubourg Bonnefoy/route d’Albi/route de Toulouse,
◦ The axis Avenue de Muret/route de Seysses,
◦ The axis Grande rue St Michel/URSS/Jules Julien/route de Narbonne,
◦ The axis Berges de la Garonne entre (le plan de port ?) à Blagnac et le Cancéropôle.
Other priority axes evocated as major axes to deal with: berges de l’Hers, berges de l’Aussonnelle, « circulaire » around the airport and aerospace area, route de St Simon.
Statement of range of principles in the Bicycle Plan: Introduce axes of bikeways that are safe, comfortable, attractive and uninterrupted, create conditions that make bicycling more attractive than driving (Revise existing parking policies to include bicycle parking, reduce the width of the car lanes, remove car lanes), quality charter, research provisional alternatives in case of congestion to get, without delay, continuous bikeways on major axes.
274 km (52 in Toulouse); 368 km of routes marked out, to favour hiking and biking (dirt or mountain bike) in the entire metropolis of Toulouse.
30 km/h areas
370 km including 100 km of one way lanes and two-ways cycling lanes.
On average, 10 to 12 km of new 30 km/h areas planned each year on the territory of the urban community
« Piétonisation » (« pedestrianization ») – Shared Space
There is currently, in the city centre, around 10km of pedestrian areas or Shared Space. The city centre redevelopment project provides 2 to 3 km of streets in pedestrian areas or additional Shared space.
The facilities quality
Technical specifications on the cycling facilities provided in 2012 for all the technicians in charge of the design and the improvement of the facilities. Introduction of other technical charters, “30 km/h areas”, “Shared Space”, “pedestrian areas”.
Partnership with the « Association Velo » (the Bicycle Association) to assess the pinch points.
Several improvements are advocated:
- Wider cycling lanes (1.50 meters) entirely painted in green at the intersections and portions seen as the most dangerous.
- Promotion of low borders of 0 centimetres (for instance, the Coubertin bridge or the avenue de Rangueil),
- (Deletion of most of the chicanes on the entries of the lanes to improve the fluidity of bicycles’ mobility, notably the high volume bikes) ?
Study « Services Vélo » (« Bicycle Services »)
Strategy of support to the cycling practice with 5 priorities:
◦ Bicycle Parking in Matabiau (handled by the Region and the SNCF, the public train company)
◦ Bicycle parking and bike rental possibilities near connections and transfer locations between cycling and other modes of transportation (“intermodality”) in order to develop the integration of bicycling with other travel modes.
◦ Support to the development of safe bicycle parking spots in buildings
◦ Support to the buying of Electrically Assisted Bicycles (perhaps the most interesting measure on the cost / mobility ratio)
◦ Communication: need to have a communication strategy that promotes long term changes in the transportation habits of the citizens. The first action would be the creation of a website dedicated to bicycling.
- on average, 300 hoops / slots installed per year
- inventory of the needs on the scale of the urban community in 2012
- new model of hoop / slot, more simple, in preparation, to improve our capacity to provide and decrease the cost. Annual budget: 75 000 euros
Respect of the cycling facilities
Cooperation between the city police and the « Association Vélo » (the bicycle association) to identify the most crowded bike lanes and take strong and regular actions. A bilan is necessary…
Support to the buying of electrically Assisted Bicycles
The support will be effective from 20th September, 2012. It will finance 25% of the buying of an “e-bike” with a maximum of 250 euros and will apply to all the inhabitants of the Metropolis of Toulouse.
- 50000 € in 2012
- 100000 € in 2013
- 100000 € in 2014.
« Maison du Vélo » (The Bicycle House):
Funded by the Urban Community: 268 000 € per year for the following actions:- More than 300 rental bicycles + accessories
--> City bikes
--> 3 types of folding bikes: Strida, Dahon, Gazelle.
10 € per month (7 € for students since 2012)
100 € per year (70 € for students since 2012)
- « Vélo-école » (Bicycle – School)
--> Children: actions in schools and recreation centres with qualified speakers, provision of 26 bicycles + educational material
3800 children already trained ( ?)
2010: 740 children of + 60 children from recreation centres
2011: 1 100 children + 220 from recreation centres
2012: 1 100 children (from January to mid-June) + 550 children for the “fête du vélo” (Bicycle fest).
Once per week for beginners: Wednesday from 5 : 30 PM to 7 : 00 PM
1 Saturday per month: educational tour in the city for the “experienced” ones
- Other actions
- repair workshops,
- « Vélocythèque »,
- registration of bikes with a code (Bicycode)
8 € (5 € for members)
- public bicycle sharing system with rental bikes available to all, 24 / 7
- 253 rental slots, 2400 bicycles
- 13500 subscribers, of whom 3500 with the public transportation card “carte Pastel” (service available since 2011)
- between 2 and 2,5 millions rentals per year
- cost for the city of Toulouse : 4,7 M € per year,
- project for 2012 : subscribing with the elderly (?) card, the “carte Sénior”
Users of VélÔToulouse survey in April 2012 - motivations :
- It is faster than the car (mobility, parking, etc.) : 39%
- It makes my travels more enjoyable : 28%
- It’s money saving : 16%
- It allows me to do sports : 10%
- It allows me to fight against pollution : 7%
92% of the subscribers are globally satisfied with the service.
Less satisfied when it comes to availability (61%) and to the good condition of the bicycles (53%).
Satisfaction of the customer service:
- entirely satisfied : 42%
- somewhat satisfied: 46%
- rather not satisfied: 8%
- dissatisfied : 4%
24 / 7 service implemented in 2011:
- visibility : 79%
- satisfaction : 98%
Organization of the « Bus Cyclistes » (cyclists buses)
The aim is to develop utility trips in groups of bikes through « cyclists bus » lanes, listed on the website. Funding from the Metropolis of Toulouse.
“Association Vélo” (the bicycle association)
Partnership to identify the pinch points to assess in priority. Meeting every three month to consider all of the projects.
- map of the cycling lanes.
- booklet for the two – ways cycling lanes
- booklet « vélo-école » (School – Bicycle)
- the operation "Cyclistes brillez" (shine cyclists) : 80 lighting packages distributed to the non – equipped cyclists in conjunction with the city police and the « Association Vélo » (the bicycle association)
- animations for the « semaine de la mobilité » (the week of mobility) and the « fête du vélo » (the bicycle fest), provided directly by the city or by the « Maison du Vélo » (the bicycle house)
- communication campaign in preparation of September 2012
- website project dedicated to cyclists with calculations of routes in terms of « cyclability » of the streets. Convention signed with the company “Géovélo” in this extent.
- organization of cycling tours from April to November to discover the cycling lanes on the territory of the Metropolis of Toulouse
“Intermodality” (from one transportation to the other)
Study and equipment by Tisséo (Authority for the organization of the transportation system) of safe parking spots near the major exchange hubs (not complete):
Aim of all the exchange hubs:
- creation of flexible bicycle spots (progressive : from 50 to 200 spaces), which can be transformed into human services (maintenance, information and rental) : work with the Urban Community,
- development of bicycle parking slots at the critical bus stops